Dr. B.K. Velthuis
UMC Utrecht, Afdeling Radiologie, Utrecht
- Place of birth: Cholo, Malawi
- Nationality: Dutch
- Residence: Amersfoort, The Netherlands
- Work address
Department of Radiology (Beeld)
University Medical Center Utrecht
3584 CX Utrecht
Telephone +31 88 7556689
Fax: +31 30 2581098
- 1976 – 1981 Chisipite Senior School, Harare, Zimbabwe (1981 head girl)
- 1982 – 1990 Medical School, Utrecht University, the Netherlands.
- 1990 – 1991 Surgery House Officer, Royal Isle of Wight Hospital, U.K.
- 1991 – 1992 Resident in surgery, St. Elisabeth Hospital, Amersfoort.
- 1992 – 1998 Radiology training, UMC Utrecht, the Netherlands. Prof Dr PFGM van Waes.
- Nov. 1998 Registration as radiologist
- 1995 – 1998 PhD thesis: CT angiography in patients with subarachnoid haemorrhage.15 December 1998. Promotor: Prof dr WPTM Mali. Co-promotors: Dr MS van Leeuwen and Dr GJE Rinkel. Departments of Radiology and Neurology, UMC Utrecht, the Netherlands.
Work and research experience
- 1999 – to date Staff member, Department of Radiology (Beeld), UMC Utrecht, the Netherlands (0.8 fte) with responsibilities in clinical radiology, research and teaching.
- Research focuses on neurovascular and cardiovascular diseases and sports cardiology (0.4 fte).
Past co-promotor work
- 2002 – 2005 IC van der Schaaf: CT angiography and CT perfusion in subarachnoid hemorrhage – there is more to it than meets the eye. 16 December 2005. (ASTRA study) Promotors: Prof dr WPTM Mali, Prof dr GJE Rinkel. Co-promotor: Dr BK Velthuis
- 2006 – 2010 NJ Prakken: Cardiac MRI in athletes: physiological adaptation versus cardiomyopathy. 26 January 2010. Promotor: Prof dr WPTM Mali. Co-promotors: Dr BK Velthuis, Dr MJM Cramer
- 2006 – 2010 JW Dankbaar: Complications of hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke: a CT evaluation. 21 may 2010. (DECIDE study) Promotors: Prof dr WPTM Mali, Prof dr GJE Rinkel. Co-promotors: Dr BK Velthuis, Dr IC van der Schaaf
- 2009 – 2012 IE Hof. Impact of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation on the left atrium. 19 January 2012. Promotors Prof dr RNW Hauer, Prof dr HG Calkins. Co-promotors: Dr KP Loh, Dr BK Velthuis.
- 2009 – 2012 T Luijkx. Cardiac MRI in athletes. 9 March 2012. Promotor Prof dr WPTM Mali. Co-promotor: Dr BK Velthuis and Dr MJM Cramer
- 2005 – 2012 JD Schaafsma. COMET study: Conventional Or Magnetic resonance angiography after Endovascular Treatment of intracerebral aneurysms. 7 June 2012.Promotor Prof dr GJE Rinkel. Co-promotor: Dr BK Velthuis
Current co-promotor work
- 2008 – CJJ van Asch. DIAGRAM study – Detection of vascular malformations in patients with intracerebral haemorrhage. Promotor: Prof dr GJE Rinkel, Co-promotor:Dr K Klijn, Dr BK Velthuis
- 2009 – The DUtch acute STroke (DUST) study: Prediction of outcome with CT perfusion and CT angiography. Project leader Dr. BK Velthuis. PhD researchers:2010 – J. Niesten. Promotor: Prof dr WPTM Mali. Co-promotors:Dr BK Velthuis and Dr IC van der Schaaf
- T van Seeters. Promotors: Prof dr LJ Kappelle; Prof dr Y van der Graaf. Co-promotors:Dr BK Velthuis and Dr GJ Biessels
- A Horsch. Promotors: Prof dr WPTM Mali, Prof dr Y van der Graaf. Co-promotors:Dr BK Velthuis and Dr JW Dankbaar
- M. Luitse. Promotors: Prof dr LJ Kappelle; Prof dr GJE Rinkel. Co-promotors:Dr BK Velthuis and Dr GJ Biessels
- 2011 – HE Bennink and J Oosterbroek. AIRSPACE: Advanced Imaging for Risk Stratification of Stroke Patients using CT Examinations. Promotor: Prof dr MA Viergever. Co-promotors:Ir HWAM de Jong andDr BK Velthuis
- 2011 – S Bor. Assessment of aneurysm growth. Promotor: Prof dr GJE Rinkel, Co-promotor:Dr M Wermer, Dr BK Velthuis
- 2012 – T Braber. MARC (Measuring Athlete’s Risk of Cardiovascular events). Promotors: Prof dr WPTM Mali and Prof dr PA Doevendans. Co-promotors:Dr A Mosterd and Dr BK Velthuis
- 2012 – Riele te A. Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy / dysplasia. Promotors: Prof dr PA Doevendans; Prof dr RNW Hauer. Co-promotors:Dr BK Velthuis and Dr A Mosterd
Further active participation
- 2003 – 2005 Local coordinator PERFeCT study – multicenter trial on PERFusion CT in acute stroke. Principal investigator: M. Wintermark, MD.
- 2002 – 2006 Thesis MJ Wemer: Long-term follow-up and screening for new aneurysms after subarachnoid hemorrhage. 29 September 2006. Promotor Prof dr GJE Rinkel.
- 2003 – 2006 Thesis Dr A. Waaijer – Multislice CT of the symptomatic carotid artery. 26 October 2006 Promotor: Prof dr WPTM Mali, Co-promotor Dr MS van Leeuwen
- 2006 – 2009 Thesis Dr AJ Teske: Echocardiographic quantification of regional right ventricular systolic function. 12 November 2009. Promotor: Prof dr PA Doevendans. Co-promotor: Dr MJM Cramer
- 2006 – 2009 GROUND study – Non-invasive cardiac assessment in high risk patients
- 2007 – LOTUS study – Long-term MRA follow-up after coiling of intracranial aneurysms
- 2007 – EPOCARES study – Erythropoietin treatment in patients with combined heart and renal failure
- 2008 CBO guideline stroke
- 2011 CARPE DIEM(Cardiovascular Disease and Pre-Eclampsia: Diagnosing Early Manifestations of coronary- and aortic disease). Prof dr A Franx, Drs JHW Veerbeek.
- 2012 DIASTOLE (Sympathetic Renal Denervation in Heart Failure with Normal LV Ejection Fraction). Drs WL. Verloop,Dr.M Voskuil, Prof. ML Bots, Prof. PA Doevendans
- Speerpunt Circulatory
- Health Speerpunt Brain
- Gender work group NVvC: Heart Disease in Women
- 2002 ASTRA - Follow-up screening after subarachnoid haemorrhage. Principal participant. ZonMw. Co-applicant (grant 945-02-007).
- 2003 Co-writer AGIKO IC van der Schaaf. CT Perfusion and CT Angiography for monitoring cerebral perfusion and vasospasm related to the development of delayed cerebral ischaemia in patients with subarachnoid haemorrhage.
- 2004 COMET - Conventional Or Magnetic resonance angiography after Endovascular Treatment of intracerebral aneurysms. Principal participant.
ZonMw. Co-applicant (grant 945-04-310).
- 2006 Co-writer VENI IC van der Schaaf. Unraveling the pathogenesis and improving diagnostic and monitoring strategies for delayed cerebral ischemia in patients with a subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- 2007 DIAGRAM - Detection of vascular malformations in patients with intracerebral haemorrhage. Principal participant
- 2008 DUST - The Dutch acute stroke study: Prediction of outcome with CT-perfusion and CT-angiography. Project leader. NHS grant
- 2009 Applicant AGIKO for JW Dankbaar: Prognostic imaging and treatment guiding in acute Stroke patients: the use of CT-perfusion in the assessment of the blood brain barrier.
- 2011 AIRSPACE: Advanced Imaging for Risk Stratification of Stroke Patients using CT Examinations. Ir. H.W.A.M. de Jong. Dr BK Velthuis cowriter.
- Yearly presentations & workshops on Neurovascular and Cardiovascular Imaging
- Yearly congress/course attendance
- Comprehensive cardiac CT training, level B (MUMC 2009)
- Diploma European Society of Cardiovascular Radiology (2012)
- Head of Cardiovascular Imaging Differentiation section UMC Utrecht
- European Society of Radiology
- European Society of Cardiovascular Radiology
- European Society of Cardiology
- European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (EACPR)
- Cardiovasculaire Radiology Section NVvR (board member)
- Neuroradiology Section NVvR
- Musculoskeletal Radiology Section NVvR